Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Friday, July 27, 2012

Rotiboy Bun (Mexican Coffee Bun)





Here are some pictures of the Rotiboy Buns (otherwise known as Mexican Coffee Buns) which I made earlier this week. Will post more pictures and the bun recipe which I have no idea where I have misplaced...


These buns were very famous in Singapore and Malaysia a few years back. In fact, at one point in time, many bakeries in Singapore were producing Rotiboy buns and nothing else and they were selling like hot cakes. But that was a passing fad just like the taiwanese bubble tea and the MacDonalds Hello Kitty craze. Nowadays, you will probably find only 1 or 2 bakeries selling Rotiboy Coffee Buns in Singapore, one of which still exists in IMM Jurong East.

For the bun dough, pls refer to my sweet bread dough recipe. Note that you need to prepare the dough starter at least 12 hours in advance. I kneaded the dough using the dough cycle of my bread machine (2 dough cycles of 20 min each hence a total of 40 min), then proofed it for 1 hour and then divided the dough into 50 grams each (which would yield 18-20 buns) and then covered the buns and let them rest and proof for another 10 min before piping the coffee topping.

Here is the recipe for the coffee topping :

Coffee Topping (makes 18-20 buns)
125g butter
125g icing sugar
2 eggs
240g plain flour
1 tbsp instant coffee powder + 1 tbsp water
1 tbsp Amaretto or other coffee liquer

Method
1. Cream butter and icing sugar till smooth, using a cake mixer. 

2. Add in eggs, and mix well.

3. Then add in flour, instant coffee, and amaretto and mix until well-combined. 

4. Put the coffee topping into a piping bag and pipe a spiral pattern on each bun. I cut open one corner of a ziploc bag and used that as a piping bag, which I attached to a decorating tip, Wilton round tip number 10.(The picture above is not really a good example as there was too little coffee topping. I only piped 6 rings and still had some coffee topping left. On hindsight, I think the coffee topping should cover 3/4 of the top of the bun, about 8 rings for each bun, if you are using a Wilton decorating tip like mine.)

5. Proof for another 20-30 min. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius.

6. After proofing, bake the coffee buns in the oven for 12-15 min.

Note : I prefer a stronger coffee flavour hence the next time I would probably add 2 tbsp instant coffee powder instead of 1 tbsp and perhaps also an additional pinch of cinnamon powder. 

I made a total of 18 buns which I placed 12 onto a big tray (a bit squeezy) and another 6 onto another smaller tray. I thought of giving away some to a chinese friend who lives nearby but in the end there were just not enough to go around. In fact, I gobbled 4 buns at one go when they came piping hot out of the oven. My little son also ate 4 buns (he ate them at 5 pm and was too full to have anything else for dinner) and my hubby another 2 and my FIL had 4. So only 4 buns were left for the next morning for breakfast. :)




This post has been submitted to YeastSpotting.

2 comments:

  1. Well, these look fascinating. Looking forward to seeing the recipe if you can find it - I lose recipes frequently.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails