Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Korean Spicy Pork (JeYuk BokkEum)

This is my first korean dish. Yeah, clap clap! It is called JeYuk BokkEum or Korean Spicy Pork.  

Recently I am into korean cuisine. I happened to stumble upon a good korean recipe website and I have been checking out the recipes and stocking up on korean ingredients at the same time. I remember the last time I was so infatuated with korean stuff was way back in 2006/2007 when Da Chang Jing (大长今) was all the rage on Singapore TV. And I still remember how Da Chang Jing popularized korean cuisine, she made korean imperial cuisine look so refined and exquisite!

I was so inspired by korean cooking that I bought some essential korean ingredients such as korean hot pepper paste (gochujang) and korean hot pepper flakes from the chinese supermart last week, intending to make some typical korean dishes such as kimchi and fried korean rice cakes. My intention is to try and make kimchi this morning, let it ferment for a week so that it will be ready in time for me to bring back to Singapore next weekend. In fact I have already bought a big fat chinese napa cabbage, but I forgot that I still need a packet of coarse salt (fine kitchen sea salt won't do), so the plan to make kimchi is shelved till tomorrow. Instead I decide to try out the spicy pork dish with the 2 key ingredients I have on hand:  korean hot pepper paste (gochujang) and korean hot pepper flakes.

After 3 hours of marinating

Oh my god, this dish is really hot and spicy! I have reduced the amount of gochujang from 5 to 4 tablespoons but it is still spicy enough for me to spew fire! On a scale of spiciness, I think 4 tbsp of gochujang is already quite spicy for a Singaporean/Malaysian, but then again I must say my threshold of tolerance may be lesser than the average Singaporean/Malaysian tastebud, after having stayed so many years abroad. In fact, I had to give my boy something else to eat for dinner because this pork dish was way too spicy for him.

But I really like this dish, it is hot and spicy with a tinge of sweetness. And after 3 hours of marinating, the meat tastes really juicy and succulent, with no lingering traces of pork smell. Really suitable for a cold and dreary evening like today.

Pardon the poor lighting, I hate to take pictures in my kitchen in winter!
Recipe adapted from Aeri's Kitchen
(For 3 - 4 servings)

Main Ingredients
500g pork (shoulder or loin), sliced thinly
1/2 onion, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
2 stalks of spring onion/scallion, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 green chilli, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 red chilli, chopped into 1 inch pieces

Pork Ingredients
1 tbsp cooking wine
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Sauce Ingredients
5 4 tbsp korean red pepper paste, known as gochujang (will upload foto soon)
1 tbsp  korean red pepper flakes (will upload foto soon)
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
juice from 1/4 to 1/2 apple, about 4 tbsp


Method
1. Marinade the pork with 1 tbsp cooking wine, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp salt. This is to get rid of the smell of pork meat and to make the pork meat tender. Set aside for 10 min.

2. Prepare the apple juice by grinding 1/4 to 1/2 of an apple with a mixer to obtain 4 tbsp of apple juice. You can also use pear juice or pineapple juice.

3. In a big bowl, combine the pork, onions and all the sauce ingredients and mix well. Cover with clingwrap and set aside to marinade for at least 3 hours.

4. Prepare a wok over medium high heat, add a little oil and fry the marinated pork until the pork is cooked.

5. Add in the spring onions, red and green chillies, fry for a few more minutes, then turn off the heat.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. hhhmmm i love korean food
    now that i'm into their rice cakes, i guess this dish is the perfect companion :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Korean rice cakes? That is on my to-do-list too!
      But I just made some kimchi today, hehe.

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails