Friday, November 16, 2012

Steamed Moist Banana Cake / Apam Pisang (Aspiring Bakers #25)


What a hectic morning! I just finished steaming this banana cake, or what they call Apam Pisang in Malay. It is incredibly soft, fluffy and moist. Really delicious banana cake recipe. I have failed terribly for a previous steamed banana cake recipe (nothing wrong with that recipe, but probably my skills was not as good as the blogger) so I was both hopeful and yet afraid of throwing another cake to the chickens again. 

But this cake is really easy, in my opinion. You just have to beat the sugar and eggs together, add the melted butter and fold in the sifted flour mixture. And steam on high heat for 45 to 50 min. Voila, a soft, fluffy, moist and delicious steamed banana cake awaits you in the steamer! Now I have another good banana cake recipe in addition to my favorite baked banana cake.
How the cake looks like, fresh from the steamer.

[Important : I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I do, and I would be happy if you could give credit where credit is due, and link back to this post if you do make this cake and share it on your blog or facebook. Remember plagiarism is not the best form of flattery.]

Steamed Banana Cake / Apam Pisang adapted from HomeKreation

Ingredients
4 eggs
170g sugar
170g melted butter or vegetable oil (or mixture of butter and oil)
300g bananas (weighed without skin) *
250g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt

* depending on how big your bananas are, I used two to three super-big bananas.

Method
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a big bowl, set aside. Melt the butter in a pot (or microwave at HIGH for 1 min) and set aside to cool. Mash the bananas with a fork in a bowl and set aside.

2. Using cake-mixer, beat eggs and sugar until thick and pale-yellow. 

3. Add in melted butter/oil, mix well using a spatula.

4. Add in mashed bananas, mix well using a spatula.

5. Finally fold in sifted flour mixture using a spatula.

6. Prepare the steamer 10 minutes in advance and make sure the water is boiling before you put in the cake. Pour the cake batter into a lined and greased 8-inch round cake pan and steam at HIGH heat for 45 to 50 min. I lined the base of my cake pan with baking paper and greased both the base and the sides with baking spray.



I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (November 2012), hosted by none other than myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders. :)


[28 Jan 2013] Note to self :
Cake can be made without cake-mixer as shown HERE. Steps amended as follows:

1. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a big bowl, set aside. Melt the butter and sugar in a pot and set aside to cool a while. Mash the bananas with a fork in a bowl and set aside.
2. Add in beaten eggs to the batter from (1), and mix well using a manual whisk or spatula.
3. Add in mashed bananas, mix well using a spatula.
4. Finally fold in sifted flour mixture using a spatula.
5. Pour the cake batter into a lined and greased 8-inch round cake pan and steam in a preheated steamer at HIGH heat for 45 to 50 min. 


[6 Mar 2013] 
Made the same recipe but cooked in a rice cooker.

23 comments:

  1. yum! i love all kinds of banana cakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss B,
    Your banana cake looks moist and yummy!
    I love banana cakes too!
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not made any banana cake using steaming method. This one looks good... poor chickens, no banana cake to eat. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, my chickens have a good life, they had failed puteri ayu the other day. My lousy steamer somehow didn't steam the cakes properly, ended up wet and moist, so my chickens had a tea party. :S

      Delete
  4. i made this! It's delicious! I used oil because I ran out of butter. One mistake I made was to steam the cake for only 30 mins. I was very afraid to over-steam it. The cake turned out slightly wet right in the middle. I had to cut it away but the rest of the cake was a-ok. Thank you for the recipe!

    P.S. I am also very tempted by your steamed chocolate cake. I may make it soon enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi moomoo,
      Thank you for your feedback! You must remember to steam for 45 to 50 min on HiGH heat. But I am glad that it still turned out well despite steaming only for 30 min. If you use melted butter, it will taste much better, trust me.

      You also can refer to my recent posting on the same recipe, whereby no cake-mixer is required. The sugar is melted together with the butter in step 1. Then add in beaten eggs and mashed bananas and mix well using spatula. Finally fold in sifted dry ingredients. http://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/2013/01/steamed-banana-cake-no-oven-no-cake.html

      Do try the steamed moist chocolate cake recipe too. It also requires no cake-mixer and is super-easy and super-delicious!

      Delete
  5. I made this today and it was amazing! Used a combination of butter and rice bran oil, creamed the butter with sugar before adding the eggs and swapped the white sugar for brown. All of the substitutions worked a treat and I was rewarded with a lovely moist cake, not too sweet, not too oily with an amazing aroma of bananas. Definitely going on my "bake again" list! Thank you for this wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi birdies,
      Welcome to my blog and thank you for your comments. Glad that it turned out great for you even with the ingredients being substituted!
      As I mentioned in an earlier reply, next time you can melt the butter/oil and sugar in a pot, instead of creaming it together, as this recipe actually doesn't require a cake-mixer to do the job. :)

      Delete
  6. Just made this cake.first time attempting to make a cake. so amazing!!! any idea how long can it be kept?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manru,
      Congrats for your success in making this cake!
      It's so good that we usually finish it within a day, at most I reserve a small piece for breakfast for the next day. But I have made it once 2 days in advance for a group gathering so it should at least last 3 days if properly sealed in clingwrap.

      Delete
  7. Comment from Jaylene Chuah on my FB page on 1 Sep 2013:
    Jaylene Chuah - D first cake I did by steaming... It rises so nicely

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Hi alexa,
      Measurement in cups is in the link provided in the blog, click on HomeKreation.

      Delete
  9. Hi, I tried it with no cake-mixer method. It turned out great!!! My kids love it. I must try on your chocolate cake soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pls identify yourself next time when leaving a comment. Hope you like the chocolate cake, you can try both in rice cooker too.

      Delete
    2. Oh,... I am Jenny!!! Will try out the chocolate cake and let you know soon.

      Delete
  10. Hi, may I know is there recipe for no-cake mixer steamed chocolate cake? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My steamed chocolate cake doesn't need a mixer, here is the LINK, the link for the rice cooker version can be found on the same post.

      Delete
    2. Ok, thanks. Can I use self raising flour and baking soda instead of plain flour, baking powder and baking soda? Thanks.

      Delete
    3. Hi Jenny,
      Yes, you can. And pls feedback the results under the chocolate cake post, ok. Thank you.

      Delete
  11. Hi, can i omit / reduce the sugar ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this recipe :)
    I tried and the cake turned out very good & tasty!
    My two kids love them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback, glad that your family likes it !

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails