Friday, May 31, 2013

AB #31 - Purple Sweet Potato Rose Bao (紫薯玫瑰包)


Ok, this was supposed to be part 2 of my purple sweet potato bao-making adventure. If you remember in my previous post, I said that by a stroke of luck, I got some purple sweet potatoes from a friend who lives nearby, and I made some steamed porcupine and rabbit buns. I also made some steamed rose buns using the same recipe, but I didn't follow the rose-shaping method by Wendy. I referred to another method which was easier. Still, it took me quite some time, and I had to take just one portion of the dough for shaping and leave the remaining dough in the fridge to chill, so as to delay further proofing. Otherwise it would have taken too long and the dough would have over-proofed.


Below are some pictures of my precious purple sweet potatoes. My friend said it cost 3 euro per kg in Chinatown, I thought that was pretty cheap, since the orange ones were selling for 2,20 euro per kg in Colruyt. The colour of the bao dough was a nice shade of pastel purple. The dough weighed nearly 1 kg in total, 975g to be exact! :D



This is how I shaped the rose buns. I hope the step-by-step pictures are self-explanatory. You can refer to the dough recipe from my purple sweet potato bao with kaya fillings recipe. Just divide the dough into 20 equal portions of 50g each, and divide the red bean paste fillings into portions of 25g each (from 1 can of 510g of red bean paste). And while you are shaping the dough, leave the remaining dough covered with clingwrap in the fridge to prevent over-proofing. Proof the shaped rose buns covered for 30-40 min in a warm place, then finally steam them in a preheated steamer on HIGH heat for 12 min.


I think my rose buns were not tightly wrapped together and I should have rolled the edges of the petals thinner, that was why the roses were kind of out of shape. But still, it was a good lesson learnt in pleating rose buns! 


I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak (May 2013) organized by none other than myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders.

I am also submitting this post to YeastSpotting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails