Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Easy Portuguese Egg Tarts (简易葡式蛋塔)

I had a roll of Marc Payot ready-made shortcrust pastry meant for making something else earlier this week but as usual the plan was shelfed and I had to look for some other recipes in order to consume the pastry before its expiry date. Then I happened to see a recipe for Portuguese Egg Tarts using ready-made puff pastry. It appeared so easy upfront. Bingo! Let's do it, let's make Portuguese Egg Tarts today! 


Making Portuguese Egg Tarts was really very easy according to this recipe, it took only 1 hour from start to end. After 1 hour, I was literally on cloud nine seeing how my egg tarts came out from the oven resembling those that I ate in Singapore. I thought it would be difficult and I never imagined it was so easy to make them. What's more, you don't need a cake-mixer, only a hand whisk and a sieve (plus an oven and some muffin cups of course).  


I made 9 Portuguese Egg Tarts in total and 7 of them were gobbled up between husband and wife as dessert after dinner, only 2 were left for the next day. Nevermind that the egg tarts should have been made using puff pastry (pâte feuilletée / bladerdeeg) instead of shortcrust pastry (pâte brisée / kruimeldeeg), they still tasted heavenly! Silly me, why did I make the stupid mistake of thinking that shortcrust pastry is puff pastry? :)

Recipe adapted from StoryOfBing

Ingredients
250g of ready-made puff pastry, thawed to room temp (I made the mistake of using shortcrust pastry hence the egg tarts did not puff up as much)
6 large egg yolks at room temp
1/4 cup castor sugar, about 50g
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I am using vanilla essence)
1/2 cup heavy cream, about 120ml (I am using whipping cream with 35% fat)
1/2 cup fresh full cream milk, about 120ml
some melted butter



Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius. (As the temperature in my oven has always been very unstable, I specially used an oven thermometer to make sure I achieved the right temperature of 200C. The oven temperature has to be sufficiently hot in order for the pastry to puff up and the egg custard to caramelize.)

2. Place the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and add 1/4 cup sugar. Mix well using a hand whisk.

3. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, followed by 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup fresh milk, whisk well until it becomes frothy.

4. Pour the mixture through a sieve to remove lumps and bubbles, so as to achieve a smooth silky mixture. Set aside the egg custard mixture.

5. In the mean time, the puff pastry should have been thawed to room temperature. Cut it equally into 6 or 10 equal pieces depending on the number of tarts you want to make. (The puff pastry came in a pack rolled up with a protective sheet so I had to unroll it, remove the protective sheet and roll it up again like a swiss roll, before cutting into 6 or 10 equal pieces.)



6.  Prepare muffin pans or individual muffin tin cups. Grease them well with melted butter. 

7. Take a piece of pastry with the folded layers sitting stacked up, press it downwards into the muffin cup making sure that it is covered completely. (Note that you may choose to directly press down and shape the pastry on the muffin cup. Or you can do it my way, take a piece of pastry on one palm, wet it with some melted butter on top, press down with another palm and shape it such that it becomes a round disc big enough for the muffin cup. Then fit it into the muffin cup.)


8. Finally fill each muffin cup with the egg custard mixture until 80% full. 

9. Bake in a preheated oven on the lowest shelf at 200 degrees celsius. Bake for 20 to 25 min if you are making 10 tarts, or 25 to 30 min if you are making 6 tarts. Try not to open the oven while baking and do not cover the tarts with aluminium foil either. Check if the tarts are browned and caramelized on top and if the centre of the egg custard is set. If the egg custard still appears wobbly, let the tarts bake in the oven for longer. (It took me 30 min exactly for baking 9 small tarts which I placed on the middle shelf.)


10. Remove the egg tarts from the oven and allow to cool on a baking rack. To unmould, carefully use a toothpick to loosen the sides of each egg tart and remove it gently. Note that the egg tarts are very fragile. 




I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest (HK + Macau - Jan & Feb 2013) hosted by Annie of Annielicious Food.

8 comments:

  1. This looks so good and yummy! Haha I made the same mistake as you before, using shortcrust pastry when the recipe calls for puff pastry. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss B,

    I have seen Jamie Oliver's fast version of Portuguese egg tarts. Like you did, his has the same concept too...

    Nevermind about the pastry... I reckon both shortcrust or puff will taste as good :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi,,
    as u mention,shortcurst pastry,instead of puff pastry
    may i know is there any diffence ,,hope u can help
    n share with me,,(i am very doubtful)
    appreciates--thank you
    minxin--singapore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Minxin,
      Shortcrust pastry is often used as the base for a tart, quiche or pie. It doesn't puff up during baking as there is no leavening agent.

      Puff pastry, on the other hand, is a light, flaky, leavened pastry which is spread with solid fat and repeatedly folded and rolled out, the layers of dough makes it puffy during baking. Croissants, chicken pies, apple strudels typically use puff pastry.

      Delete
  4. I love Portugal and I love pastéis de nata! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these are called pastéis de nata, they are very popular in Macau (former Portuguese colony) and in other parts of Asia too. I hope they look and taste like the real thing in Portugal. :)

      Btw, do you know if the belgian rice tart which you once tried from my blog, uses a kruimeldeeg or a bladerdeeg? I have always used bladerdeeg, which I think may be wrong. Or did you make your own dough the last time?

      Delete
    2. I never make my own dough, I'm too lazy to do that. ;-)
      I use bladerdeeg for the rice tart. I always prefer it over kruimeldeeg.

      Delete
  5. Jasline and Zoe,

    Thanks for your encouragement!

    I seldom use ready-made pastry, it is only until now that I realise I have been using the wrong type of pastry (i.e. puff pastry) for my savoury quiches, since the pastries are all labelled in French and Dutch here, and I never bother to double-check the meanings. We do learn something new everyday during baking, don't we? :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails