Wishing everybody a Happy Mid-Autumn Festival. Will upload the recipe later when I am free.. :)
Edited on 17 Sept 2015
Sorry it is 1 year late, but better late than never, isn't it? A promise is a promise, so here is the recipe for the Cheesy Shanghai Mooncake.
Mooncake skin recipe adapted from 鲸鱼蓝蓝小窝居
Cheesy Shanghai Mooncake (makes 8 pieces)
120g unsalted butter (softened at room temp)
2 tbsp fresh milk (at room temp)
1 tbsp corn flour (also known as cornstarch)
180g cake flour or low-protein flour
2.5 tbsp parmesan cheese powder
pumpkin seeds for decoration
Egg wash = 1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp water + 1 tbsp milk (I left out the milk, using only few drops of water)
1. Sift parmesan cheese powder, corn flour and cake flour together and mix well.
2. Beat butter, sugar and milk until creamy. (I used my cake mixer at low speed)
3. Add in the sifted flour mixture, combine to form a smooth dough. (I used cake mixer at low speed again, then I used my hands to form it into a smooth dough. Do not over-knead. If you find the dough too dry, you may add a little more milk.)
4. Cover the dough with plastic clingwrap and chill in the fridge (not freezer!) for 30 min.
5. Remove the dough from the fridge, weigh and divide into required portions. Cover the rest of the dough with clingwrap while you are wrapping to avoid drying out. (The dough was about 375g so I divided it into 8 x 45g each, and I still had 25g left. )
6. Use your palm to flatten each piece of dough into a circle, making sure that the edges are thinner than the centre. Wrap in the filling and roll it into a smooth ball. (The dough was very easy to work with, at least at my room temp of 20C)
7. Baked on a lined baking tray in a preheated oven at 170C for 10 min.
8. After 10 min, remove from the oven. Use a baking brush to apply egg wash on top and decorate with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or sesame seeds.
9. Return to the oven and continue to bake at 170C for 20 min.
10. Remove from the oven, apply egg wash again. Reduce temp to 160C and bake for extra 3 to 5 min or until golden brown.
Filling recipe adapted from Helena's Kitchen
5 Nuts Fillings 五仁馅
40g pumpkin seeds
40g sunflower seeds
25g dried apricot
25g dried cranberry
60g gaofen or cooked glutinous rice flour
30g cooking oil
1. Put all ingredients together in a big bowl and mix well. If it's too dry, add a little more oil or water.
2. Divide the filling and shape into balls of 45g each.